Friday, August 14, 2009

August 2009 STEP Dreamers' Newsletter

STEP DREAMERS’ SUMMER OF 2009 IS OVER . . .
BUT THEY WENT PLACES AND THEY DID THINGS!
A LATE AUGUST REPORT
NOTICE – NOTICE – NOTICE – NOTICE – NOTICE
This is your last PAPER NEWSLETTER. After this, I will post them at STEPDREAMERS.BLOGSPOT.COM
(Exception made for Dreamers without convenient internet access – please let me know – cell phone: 240-481-8537.)

AND NOW FOR THE NEWS –
KIM went to Mozambique with a mission group from her Frederick, MD church.


From JAY: GREETINGS FOLKS! This has been one of the best summers EVER! I am working at Long and Foster [real estate] in Bethesda. It is one of the best jobs I ever had. I have found a new hobby and that is reading!
After 20 years of life, I now enjoy reading books (better late than never)
& Jenny's company (lol jk)! I am just loving life rite now :)
ALWAYS Remember ~No one can make you feel inferior without your consent- JFK P.S. Shout out to Josh he is 21!!! Xoxo


KENNY is working at Best Buy.

DONNALE has started in Job Corps.

On Thursday, July 23rd, Dreamers and STEP volunteers gathered at Mrs. Laing’s for a midsummer party. Kathy McKay coordinated with a committee of Dreamers. If you missed the party, you missed seeing:
JAY, KA, KENNY, DIANA, JESSICA, JOSH, JAY, KIM, STACY, and volunteers: Kris Moore, Sooz Mitchell, Ann Danner, Jody Schwarz, Julia, Pat Larson, Sondra Mills, Judy Smith, and Ron Wisor. Hope you will be there next time!

JAY AND JENNY visited Haiti, where they got to know their extended family.

SADE:
“Hey everyone my summer was great! I had a few ups and downs, but I’m hanging in there. As for a job, I worked at Truesdell summer school. The children are great. I think I might even become a counselor at the Dell, not sure yet though. I plan on do a lot this upcoming semester, such as campus ministries, 3.0 GPA and other lil things. I'm so READY for school to start!! I miss my Bennett belle's and I love my Dreamers dearly . . . I wish you all a successful year and may you see blessing all the way through the year. Signed: #1 Dreamer . . . LOL”

CHAO’s job this summer wasn’t too interesting, but he liked the four-day workweek.

JENNY: This summer has truly been overwhelming! From taking a summer class, Economics II, to working long and tedious hours, to having lack of sleep. I have to say this summer has really been an eye opener to see how hard you have to work to make it in life. I refuse to take anything for granted, even though I may go through trials and tribulations, I refuse to let that rain on my parade. We have one life, and I know I am going to live it the best way that I can.
So, I'm on my way to start a new chapter in my book in Ghana. I'm not looking forward to taking my daily malaria pills and the scorching heat . . . lol . . . but I am looking forward to meeting people that will soon have an effect on my life;)

BEN worked at Barney’s Senior Center, and took a class at Montgomery College.

DIANA: “Interning and working along with brilliant people in the field of medicine has really left me wanting more of what’s out there in science, biology, chemistry and life in general. I would definitely go back to NIH to see what else they can give me! :)”

CHRISTINA: “This summer I worked at Doctor's Community Hospital and the experience was once again amazing!!! It taught me to be passionate, considerate, and it even taught me how to handle a rude coworker!!! (lol) I'm happy to have worked there for the past two summers!! I'm really hoping to be somewhere else that coincides with my major next summer. Prayerfully it will happen!!”

KIM: “This summer has been truly amazing. Going to chapter camp in Glen Spey, NY for a week studying scripture for seven hours a day and worship is intense but so worth it. Going to South Africa for two weeks on my first of many future missionary trips... was truly a blessing for me to go and I thank the STEP community for their support. Going to JHOP (Justice House of Prayer), a place by the Library Congress that I attend every Friday night. People from the District as well as people from other states come together to worship and pray for the Supreme Court about the laws, and really pray for abortion to end. God has changed me this summer in so many ways. Veronica and I are closer together because she's like my big sister and we go to church together as well as Bible study. I'm truly blessed that Veronica is in my life. Now I'm just getting ready for school, which I'm excited about: five classes, sixteen credits, women's basketball team, one of the leaders for Intervarsity Christian Fellowship and so many other obligations that I'll be engaging in this school year. I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!
I love my job and this time I had a new look on what I do. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm truly not the same Kim that I was last year. Since this is my first of many summers with the Lord, my job is more fun than last year and I'm so thankful for that.”

CHARLETTE: “I completed both summer sessions @ Fayetteville State University. In speech I received a B the first summer session. The second summer session in Humanities I received an A, and in my intro to Clinical Psychology course I got a B.”

ROLANDA: “I’m not heading to UArts in the fall...ran into a lil bump . . .I’m trying to go to Montgomery College just to keep it up...College Coach ‘n’ Mama Laing helping me put the pieces together. The boutique this year was awesome...I had more privileges, like opening ‘n’ closing the shop. This will train me more for when I change my major to fashion.”

KA: “My summer was great. After my trip, I started working at Baldwin Graphic, near Metro Center for a couple of days and decided to switch another job because there wasn't much to do there. Now I am working for Montgomery Country, Account Payable Office. This job is not fun, but it helps; my day goes fast. Some of the tasks that I’ve done include scanning vouchers for fiscal years of 2009 and 2010, looking up TIN matching numbers for Vendors.
Also I was glad to see most of my friends this summer. It was fun catching with them. The ones (AKA JASON D. BURTON) LOL, that I couldn't get a chance to hang out with, it’s cool....I'm not leavin’ until Aug 25th...... So hopefully I’ll see more of my fellow Dreamers before I leaveeeee...”

RONNISHA worked, for the second summer, at Buchanan and Ingersoll, a law firm.

MICHAEL worked at the Montgomery County Government Department of Finance. He was responsible for checking bank statements

BEST WISHES AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE DREAMERS WHO WILL BE STARTING ANOTHER ACADEMIC YEAR!
BEST WISHES AND GOOD LUCK TO HARD-WORKING DREAMERS!
STAY IN TOUCH!! CONTINUE LEARNING!!
REMEMBER THAT STEP IS STILL HERE TO HELP YOU . . .
YOU JUST NEED TO ASK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment