Sunday, July 26, 2009

Latest newsletter


STEP/I HAVE A DREAM SUMMER SIZZLE 2009

80% of STEP Dreamers have earned either a high school diploma or a GED. Congratulations to Jessica Vasquez, our most recent grad!




“I didn’t give up, and I graduated!”
Hooray for all Dreamers, and let’s keep at it.





Summer news about work, school, and internships:
From Jenny: “Hello, America! I am officially a junior!!!! Got an A in Economics and I am so press!!!!!!! I worked soooo hard for it. Finished this semester with a 3.48. This semester was just lovely, but not easy at all.
This summer I am at Montgomery College taking another course in Economics. My family and I are taking a trip to Haiti for a couple of days and then OFF TO GHANA I GO for a semester!!!!! CAN'T WAIT:)
I am working in Rockville, MD, working on IT projects as a web portal assistant, and also working with my mentor [STEP volunteer Kris Moore] and her colleagues at Childtrends around the office.”

Jay is taking summer classes at Elon, and hopes to find a DC job for the rest of the summer.

Chou is working with the Chief Financial Officer of the Montgomery County Public Schools.

Keith is working in sales at Club Monoco in Georgetown. He is also developing a play with the Friends of Carter Barron. “We’re doing a show on Mike Malone, one of the founders Duke Ellington, and Debbie Allen may be the Dance Instructor for the program this summer!”

Diana: “This is my update on the end of my second year at Trinity, which I'm feeling such happiness about, since I'm officially a Junior, which is mind boggling to me since it feels like only a short while ago I was a Freshman! This second semester could have finished on a better note, but I tried my best, so I'm not beating myself for it. I know I can try again next time, and do BETTER. I have started interning at NIH at the Clinical Center where I partner with the most professional and not to mention BRILLIANT scientists and doctors. I'm very excited to see what I can learn from them and to see if this is the journey I'm willing to take as I begin to build my future. So far that is all that will be occurring now, but I would say it will be an eventful summer :)” [Diana is interning with Dr. Bob Danner who spoke to Dreamers at Emery Rec Center. He is Ann Danner’s husband.]

Chartlette: “Hello my STEP Fam.
I am attending summer school all summer. I finished up the semester with two A's, two B's, and one C, which, in other words, means I snagged a 3.0. Can I say proud of myself!!
The first summer session is almost over.
I was taking speech. In speech class I presented three speeches: introductive, informative, and, lastly, persuasive. I think I'm going to get an A out of the course.
I am also working at a day care center in the evenings after class. The kids there are soooo funny there isn't a second without laughter.”

Kim
: “Second semester was tough but God helped me get through. I am going to Mozambique soon, and will be back on July 14. I'm now treasurer of my dorm.”

Jonathan has an internship at a basketball camp, Hoop Education. He hopes to someday be a P.E. teacher.

Joy: “I am working at my school [University of Maryland] as a CA for the summer while taking two classes. In a few weeks I'll be certified in First Aid and CPR, so I'll be able to save anyone when at their critical moment :). I am hoping to get to see everyone this summer through some type of STEP event to get an update on everyone’s lives.”

Cawayne is working at the Environmental Protection Agency.'

Courtney L. Is working at Teens Count.

Ayokunle: “I work at Woodberry, my old school. There is a sports camp for kids between 10-14 up here and I am a counselor.”




Ka: “I'm back in the U.S. I had a blast time in Hong Kong. I visited my family and, of course, went shopping every day. During my visit in Hong Kong, I went to Shanghai and Seoul, Korea for a six-day tour. I had an awesome time. I met many great people on the tour and visited many historic sites.
I didn't want to go back to U.S because I had so much fun and I wasn't done. I came back to the U.S to celebrate my 20th birthday with my bestie. We went to see Hangover. I definitely think you all should go and see it . . . if you haven't . . .LOL
This summer I will be working at Baldwin Graphics, starting on June 22. That means No MORE CAMPERS! . . . LOL . . . Well I hope I see you guys soon. Miss ya!!”

STEP ACADEMIC HONOR ROLL -- better than B GPA for SPRING 2009:
Congratulations to Veronica, Jay, Jenny, Sam C., Diana, Catherine, Melissa, Edwin, Ayokunle, Chao, and Ben.

Sam C.: “This summer I am at Jumpstart helping children prepare for elementary school. While it's different from my other summer jobs, it's a move don't regret and I am highly looking forward to. As for GW I travel back and forth sometimes to help promote the Black Student Union to incoming freshmen and help plan events. In July I'm going to start taking Bio at Montgomery College as well. Busy summer huh?”

Christina: “I'm working hard!! I'm working at Doctor's Community Hospital in Lanham, MD, and I've been so busy getting ready for the school year.”

Stacy: “I am a Supervisor @ the D.C. Dragons training facility and dance studio. STACY & JOSHUA play with the FULLY LOADED BAND EACH & EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT @ Tha G-SPOT 2245 Rhode Island Avenue N.E.”

Rolanda: “I’m working @ Metamorphosis @Silver Spring [a wardrobe and accessories boutique] – my second year.”

Dominick was there when President Obama spoke at the Arizona State University commencement! In his own words: “Obama at ASU was an event I couldn't miss. Luckily, my friend had an extra ticket to use. The wait to get into the stadium was about an hour or so with all the security, and while in the stadium some friends and I were lucky enough to see Air Force One landing in Sky Harbor Airport, which is about nine minutes away from ASU. “

A REMINDER TO ALL DREAMERS WHO PLAN TO BE IN SCHOOL FOR THE 2009 FALL SEMESTER – GET THE PAPER WORK DONE!
STAY IN TOUCH WITH MRS. LAING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment