Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring 2010

STEP DREAMER CONNECTIONS
April 2010
Jay Celin with a friend in Guatemala.
“For the month of January I went to Guatemala and fell in love with my group and the country. I went with my school to practice my Spanish and to experience a new part of the world. Guatemala is the most BEAUTIFUL country, filled with bright colors and lovely people. For a week, I stayed with INDIGENOUS MAYANS and lived in their community. I could not believe that these people still practice the rituals that were handed down to them years ago. It was an AMAZING experience that I am grateful to have been a part of :))) I would go back in a heartbeat.

For the third consecutive year I am being awarded the BLACK EXCELLENCE AWARD! The honor is given at a “high class” dinner that will highlight my accomplishments at Elon. JENNY and SADE HAD BETTER BE THERE!!! I am soooo excited, more than ever because my school is recognizing my HARD work, and all those weekend nights studying is finally paying off!!!

I have a job at Duke University this summer as a Residential Counselor. I AM SO EXCITED! This summer is going to be REALLY busy!

My school is organizing a walk for HAITI and I am on the executive board. I will be in charge of public relations. THIS WILL BE BIG! If you want to help (donations) please contact me at my e-mail jcelin@elon.edu.”


PEARISHA VAUGHN has worked for year and a half at Immaculate Health Care Services, Inc. She takes care of a disabled person in the woman’s home. Her comment on the job: “In this career, I look at life so differently, and I thank the Lord that I am blessed.”
JASON ROSEBAR attends the University of Maryland University College, and works at Toyota of Bowie.

ROLANDA BLOCKER:
I'm in Aveda Institute now, down in Chinatown. Wow, so much has changed in my life and I'm still pushing myself. It’s a five-month program, so after my months are up, I will work on the floor: facials, waxing, and everything. It’s longs days for me, but I'm moving along. I'm getting my license in aesthetics; o if you want facials or a waxing, hit me up. I will be networking to put my name out there soon!

KEISHA SCOTT doesn’t have any news, but she “looks forward to hearing about everyone else.”

SAM COLLINS shared his news: “Interning at McClatchy Newspapers has shown me a lot, and made me want to pursue a career in journalism even more. I've roamed Capitol Hill during my spring break and witnessed history, and I am using skills acquired in the classroom when I conduct interviews. Right now I'm working on stories about topics that have caught my interest and are very important. My blog, A Young Political Mind [www.ayoungpoliticalmind.com] has caught the eye of many people and is garnering much respect. At the same time, I'm reading books about the history of journalism in the District of Columbia, and it has made me more confident that I have chosen the right industry.

All this is happening as I prepare for my future. Senior year's coming up and as everyday passes, I am less anxious about whether I will end up in a good situation upon graduation, worries I've had since the end of sophomore year. My senior year, I want to move away from extracurricular leadership and taking steps to turn my dream career into a reality.

KEITH MCCORMICK is a student at the American Musical and Dramatic Arts Academy in Manhattan. He wants everyone to know that he “loves it.”

Unique Pinkney plans a career in nursing. She schedules both work and school in her life, and is succeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment